Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A Driveway Moment

I'm a big fan of NPR. I've found as I've gotten older that I prefer classical and jazz to most everything else on the radio. I'd rather listen to their in-depth news stories in the morning than the inane prattle of the morning d.j.s.  I'm not above listening to pop and know my way around Pink, the Black-Eyed Peas, and Katie Perry, but if I'm trying to concentrate, Bach, Mozart, Rossini, and Gershwin win out.


Especially when NPR is fundraising (which unfortunately may happen more often if Congress has its way), the hosts talk about "driveway moments" - those times when you're listening to a news story that is just so compelling that you have to listen to the end even though you've gotten home and sitting in your car in your driveway.  I had one of those moments this afternoon. There was a story about an Army vet who had fought in Iraq and come home with PTSD and Traumatic Brain Injury. He hadn't gotten the care he needed and his life culminated in a 2+ hour standoff with police.  The story lasted most of my half hour drive home and was really well done. I had to sit in the driveway and find out how the standoff ended. He's finally getting help and has hope in his life again. But I had to know. Thanks NPR, for a great driveway moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment