Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Flowers of Ribbon

I enjoy all kinds of arts and crafts and just working with my hands.  I usually can't sit for any length of time without doing something.  I'm a part-time director at a local small museum where we offer needle arts and heritage crafts classes.  When the class is something that really interests me, I have the time, and they have the space, I'll take the classes, but at the very least I'll listen in and watch for a while and find out the best resources for books and materials if I decide to do it myself.

The Ribbon Embroidery class was a class that I didn't have time for, but I was really taken with the incredibly beautiful work the teacher showed and the amazing books she brought.  I'm usually a pretty quick learner, so I decided to buy one of the books and try it myself.  I'm a flower lover so I bought A-Z of Silk Ribbon Flowers by Ann Cox and generally copied her design for Xeranthemum to try it out.  I think I did pretty well, if I do say so myself! 

One thing to watch out for if you do buy her book, it is English so some of the colors (colours?) and ribbon sizes need to be translated for work outside of the U.K.  The book is beautiful though and well worth the purchase.  You can create spring and summer flower bouquets on canvas and she has amazing photographs and easy to follow directions throughout.  (No one is paying me to say this or for the link above, I just thought it was a great book!)

No comments:

Post a Comment