Sunday, March 13, 2011

Giving in to a Craving

Chocolate.  That's what drives most of my cravings.  This afternoon I gave in and made cookies.  Cake is fine for a special occasion, but I far prefer cookies.  You can have just one (can you?) and get through that craving for sweets or chocolate without totally blowing your diet.  You can freeze them for future cravings.  And they don't take long to make from scratch. 


The recipe I made today is one my mom made when I was a kid, with a couple of upgrades.  I make a lot of cookies, especially at Christmas time, and I cut out a few steps mostly because I'm impatient.  I also skip the mixer unless the batter clearly isn't mixing well.  I use a wooden spoon for all mixing which makes the process seem more handmade and less mechanized.  I haven't had any complaints, so the skipped steps don't seem to harm the cookies any.

Here's the recipe so you can give in to your own chocolate craving:

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 c. butter, melted
1 c. peanut butter
3/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
2 c. flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 c. chocolate chips
1 c. chopped peanuts

In large bowl, mix melted butter, peanut butter, sugar, and brown sugar.  Add eggs and mix well.  Add flour and baking soda and mix until blended.  Stir in chocolate chips and peanuts.  Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.  Bake at 300 degrees F. for 20 min.  Yield: about 5 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment