Saturday, March 5, 2011

Reluctant Fame

Everywhere I've gone locally this week, people have congratulated me on my new book coming out on March 14th.  I should be thankful that the local newspaper put the press release about the book along with a photo of me on the front page.  But I'm the kind of person who prefers to be anonymous.  I'm not real comfortable with recognition by complete strangers.  I'm the introvert.  The person who'd rather stay home than go to a party.

Unfortunately, it is only going to get worse this year.  I have another book coming out in May that has a statewide, rather than local reach.  I have to do the book tour thing with it, not matter how uncomfortable it makes me feel.  So I'm using this book as practice.  I have several book signings scheduled.  With people I know.  And I'll get my small talk and book inscriptions ready and be an extrovert for a few months.  Then go back to anonymity, where I'm more comfortable.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you'll get through it just fine. In some ways it's neat that people do recognize you, but I think I would be a bit uncomfortable too. Just have to remember that things will quiet down after a while.

    ReplyDelete