Sunday, March 20, 2011

UFO Sightings!

UFOs. You've got 'em. You know you have. Un-Finished Objects.  My life is full of them. Baskets started at basket conventions. A crocheted potholder I started in a class, then decided crocheting wasn't for me. A kit for a second smocked Christmas ball (I finished the first). Several needlepoint kits I started then found the up-down plain old single stitch boring and never finished. The book, David Copperfield, started before Christmas and still sitting on my nightstand. A Master's thesis. A blanket of Swedish Embroidery that just needs the edging done. The organization of all the recipes I am forever cutting out of magazines. A knitted afghan received as a gift in the 70's that won't ever be finished as is because of the colors (gold, brown, yellow, 70's for sure).  The renovation of our house. The garden. And I could go on.  I'm sure you have your own list.

Every once in a while though, rather than focusing on the things I haven't finished, I focus on those I have.  The beautiful baskets displayed in our house.  All of the Christmas ornaments I've made for friends and family. The blankets I've knit and embroidered. The Master's thesis I did finish. The 3 books I've published. The websites and other graphic design I've completed. The art I've created. This blog.

Keep the UFOs in perspective.  They mean I have lots of interests and talents. That the world is a big place and I'm trying to experience as much as I can.  I'll finish some of the UFOs one day.  But I also plan to create many more as I continue to try new and different things that inform my life and my art.

1 comment:

  1. Been there, done that. I have less unfinished objects than you but I also have lots less finished objects than you. Plus many of your objects are larger and more complicated than mine.
    Not sure how you have time for all you do.
    It sure makes life interesting. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete