Monday, April 4, 2011

Something New: Needle Beading

One of the many hats I wear is that of a museum director.  At the museum, we offer needle arts and heritage crafts classes every other month or so.  If there's room in the class and I'm interested in taking it, I do.  This month's class is Needle Beading with Cherie Creger of Wolf Creek Beads and Gallery.  We're making a bracelet using the right angle weave stitch.  I've never done anything like this before, but I've done all sorts of other crafty things with a needle, so I thought I'd give it a try.  Not that I needed to learn yet one more craft, but I figure that everything I learn gives me ideas for other art and craft projects.


We got the first row done on Friday and had homework to finish 3 more rows.  I spent a nice afternoon at my newly moved drawing table, in front of the window, with spring sunshine pouring in, listening to classical music on my local NPR station, and figuring out how to finish the 3 rows.  Fortunately, I usually catch on pretty quickly as long as I can figure out the pattern.  Turns out I am more comfortable needle beading in the opposite direction of the instructions (typical for me, I weave baskets backwards too), but once I got the logic to it, I was on my way.  You can see what I finished today below.  I'll post a photo of the bracelet when we finish on Friday.  Or at least I hope I'll finish in class on Friday.  I don't want more UFOs hanging around!



2 comments:

  1. I think you get the "doing things backwards" from me. The bracelet is pretty. Bet it would be pretty in a pattern with other colors added to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait for it....the color gets added on Friday. It should look totally different when I post the next photo.

    ReplyDelete