Friday, May 13, 2011

Living With Fame

This spring's earlier brush with fame was pretty localized.  I wrote a book about the county I live in so the interested audience is much smaller.  I did a couple of book signings locally. I knew many of the people that attended.  I got good practice being an extrovert.  That was that. Back to my introverted self.


Well now I have another book out. This one is about the state. The audience grows. The publicity grows. I no longer know all of my fans.  The local practice was good, but I'm going big time (on the state scale) now!  I had a TV appearance and was on a live radio program.  I have taped 3 radio spots that haven't aired yet.  I have a presentation next week that will be on YouTube and other book signings and presentations scheduled in various places throughout the state.  My poor introverted self is cringing!

But you know what?  This week wasn't so bad.  I think because I know that I don't have to do this all the time, it's okay.  And because my husband was there to take care of the details like getting me to where I needed to go.  I managed to make sense in the live spot.  I looked fine on TV.  I answered questions at the book signing.  I'm learning to make small talk.  I'll get through it.  I'll try not to turn into a diva!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! And I can remember how bashful you were when you were young. You amazed me when you got into the limelight in college and this amazes me more. Though not really as I know you have come a long way. It's nice that Terry is sharing all this with you and the moral support is always helpful. We have several friends (and one relative) who are TV stars. Four put their Model A's in movies but they have no talking parts and one was "picked" on American Pickers.
    Nope, no divas allowed. I'll know you will send me the links. Looking forward to seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is terrific. Congrats on your book and your talk.

    ReplyDelete