Monday, May 9, 2011

One UFO Finished!

I finally finished a 2010 Christmas present this weekend and removed a UFO from my list! The present, which I gave my sister-in-law unfinished at Christmas, is a Swedish Embroidery blanket.  I finished the main part of the embroidery in December, but didn't get the blanket stitch edging done until Saturday.  I don't see her often so I had procrastinated, then completely forgotten about it.  We're going to see her next week, so it was time.  It's been freshly washed and decatted too, important since the Smiling Cat helped me make it and my sister-in-law is allergic to cats. 



If you aren't familiar with Swedish Embroidery, it's essentially yarn woven through monk's cloth which has a distinctive weave of 4 horizontal and 4 vertical threads per block.  I learned the technique in a short class and I decided to try something larger. You can buy the monk's cloth at JoAnn's and other fabric stores along with an instruction book.  I followed a pattern book for this blanket, though I might try creating my own design if I make another.  They suggest using acrylic yarn so that the blanket is completely machine washable, but I'm a bit of a yarn snob, so I used wool which handles much better.  That just means the blanket has to be hand washed and dried, though I used the hand wash cycle of my washing machine which worked just fine.


Glad to move the blanket from UFO to FO status!

No comments:

Post a Comment