Thursday, July 7, 2011

Feeding the Pig

I've spent most of my day trying to navigate the steps to formalize my business. I've been a tax preparer in the past so this stuff generally makes sense to me, but it's just plain headache inducing. Did I choose the right business type? Did I fill out the right forms? Did I get the right ID numbers? You want me to do what? Well, what the heck is that? The state prides itself on being "business friendly" and has a website to guide you through the process (for a fee), but I'm still left wondering if I did everything I was supposed to and what's next. Did I choose all the right taxes for my teensy weensy little business to feed the "business friendly" pig?

1 comment:

  1. I hear the frustration! We don't have a business but had to get a tax ID # in order to sell 80-year old Model A Parts at the Charlotte Auto Fair in the spring. It's the same as people having to pay a tax for a yard sale for heavens sake.
    And don't get me started on Income taxes. Used to be simple when they sent the booklet and forms to you in the mail. But online (like Turbo-Tax) is expensive ($66.00 for both US and NC), not free like they advertise and they figured it wrong. I finally went to the IRS site and filled them out myself and went to the NC site and printed out the forms, filled them out and mailed them for nothing.

    ReplyDelete