Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Of Witches and Wizards

I just finished the final Harry Potter book.  I figured I'd better get to it since the last movie is out and I didn't want the ending of the series to be spoiled for me by someone chatting about it on the street.  I've had the books for a long time, but wanted to savor them.  Harry Potter is exactly the type of character I would have loved as a child.  He and his friends are regular people, except for that bit of magic that makes everything an adventure.  But the magic isn't so far-fetched that you can't hope that if you picked up the right wand-shaped object and said the right words, you too would find your magic talents.


As a youngster, I loved books about witches - the series by Ruth Chew were my favorites.  I used to catch reruns of Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie after school.  I tried wiggling my nose and blinking and even waving the flyswatter around as a wand.  None of it worked, but I couldn't help hoping that I just wasn't doing it right and one day...one day!  I guess savoring the Harry Potter books was one way to continue that childhood hope!  

No comments:

Post a Comment