Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Something Old, Something New

As I mentioned in my last post, I've been playing with some different inks and colored backgrounds for my linoleum block prints (linocuts).  The easiest way for me to do that is to take the pressure off of creating a new print and using an old block that I know works.  You saw the flower prints I made yesterday.  Well, I was also experimenting with a print of the Hancock, New Hampshire Congregational Church that I made several years ago.  I grew up in Hancock, so I made the print as a Christmas present for several family members.  I was never super happy with the print though.  It was a little fuzzy around the edges and not as crisp as I would have liked.  But, I was a bit rushed when I made the print (Christmas was right around the corner!) so I didn't fix it then and just blundered on through with it.


The other day, I took out my trusty linoleum carving tools and fixed the problems with the print.  I'm much happier with it now.  However, I also decided that since a big part of the print is the sky behind the steeple, that I wanted to have a color other than the white paper in the background.  And since I couldn't get the caps off of my blue watercolors, I went with a purplish-lavender background that looks like the sun is either just rising or just setting.  I rather like it and have listed it at Etsy, but I'm going to get some new watercolors so I can try that dark blue background that I'm envisioning.

No comments:

Post a Comment