Thursday, August 4, 2011

Waiting on Summer's Bounty

I planted tomatoes, yellow peppers, pickling cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, and basil rather late in the season so while everyone else is starting to be overwhelmed with produce, I'm still waiting patiently.  I've been using the basil in my cooking, but nothing else yet. 


I have a cucumber that's about 4" long and some green cherry tomatoes that are torturing me with their slowness at maturing.  The larger tomatoes and peppers are still in the flower stage, but there's lots of them so I'm expecting a good crop.  Of course when I bought the plants I was thinking it would be nice to have a couple of fresh peppers and now I'm going to have a dozen.  I'll have to start coming up with the creative recipes now before summer's bounty takes over!

2 comments:

  1. Neat! After having to harvest veggies when I was young, I'm not keen on having my own garden. Glad you are having such good luck. When you run out of ideas for the peppers, you can wash and cut them up and freeze then. Then they are ready for various recipes. I use them that way for spag sauce, chili, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not so bad if you just have 2 tomato plants, 1 cucumber plant, and 1 pepper plant and they're all in pots outside the back door!

    ReplyDelete