Monday, October 17, 2011

A Basket for a Friend

I went to a baby shower for a friend last week. You'd think with 7 months to decide what to make for her, I'd have come up with something creative, useful, and treasured. Nope. Not being the maternal type, a week before the shower I was still trying to decide what to get her and beating myself up for not making her something.


I decided on 2 things: buy something from her registry and make a basket to put that something in. I had a fancy handle that I'd woven several years ago and just never made a basket to go around it so a basket seemed like a good idea at the time. Then I got into the basket weaving and remembered that there are parts of that process that are just not that enjoyable for me. Like that first row after you upset the stakes. Or the joy of having 2 pieces of round reed that are just a little too long so you spend half of your time untangling them rather than twining them. Or any part of putting the rim on.

The basket turned out okay, but maybe I should just stick to making linoleum block prints of baskets and plan ahead next time to make a present that's more enjoyable for me!

2 comments:

  1. Turned out to be a pretty basket. Maybe you should have made it big enough to put the baby in with a blanket - cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is just big enough for the baby - for the first week or so!

    ReplyDelete