Friday, December 16, 2011

Things Not To Do in December

December may be the most wonderful time of the year, but it is also the busiest. For me anyway. Despite how I try to slow down and enjoy the holidays and all of the fun activities surrounding them, there's always too many work things to finish by year's end. In addition to the Christmas shopping, playing in community band concerts, baking cookies, making ornaments, attending Christmas events for my favorite local charities, Christmas parties, watching the occasional old Christmas movie, and just taking a little time to be one with the Christmas tree, there's the other stuff.


Like a book manuscript due on December 23rd. What in the world was I thinking?!?  Haven't I learned from the past?  I did this the first time 3 or 4 years ago. I didn't go well. I just flat out gave up and got it to them just after the holidays. Not good, but necessary. Then there was last year when I spent the entire month of December, right on through to New Year's (while on the road enjoying the holidays with family, I might add), proofing and indexing Lost Communities of Virginia to the point that I never wanted to see that book again.

This year, my husband and I are working on another book, Blacksburg Then & Now. I smartly set the due date for January 23rd. They smartly offered larger royalties if we got it in before Christmas. So here I am, dreaming of a white Christmas, while attempting to write captions and get all the photos together for the book. I'd say "never again", but who knows what next year will bring?

1 comment:

  1. You are one busy lady! At least you have had practice with deadlines. And what is Terry doing in his spare time, hmm?
    I like your picture - looking into a window with your tree lights reflected?
    Hope your book gets done well and on time. Looking forward to seeing you two in NH. Hope we all have good weather for traveling.

    ReplyDelete