Friday, January 27, 2012

Friday Food: Cheesy Tortellini and Ham

I seldom follow recipes exactly. I usually either don't have all of the ingredients or something in the recipe doesn't appeal to my palate. I can generally figure out which part of the recipe shouldn't be messed with and leave that alone while I substitute the ingredients that play a supporting part. In this recipe, I don't change the cheesy sauce, but depending on what's in the fridge, I may use chicken instead of ham, a different vegetable than broccoli, canned tomato or frozen broccoli instead of fresh, and more vegetables than the recipe calls for. This recipe has been made lighter by Healthy Cooking magazine, but still has the taste and feel of something with more calories.


Cheesy Tortellini and Ham

9 oz cheese tortellini
1 c. fresh broccoli
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. flour
1 c. milk
1 1/2 c. cubed ham
4 oz. reduced fat cream cheese
1/2 c. grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp pepper
1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped

Cook tortellini in saucepan according to package directions. Add broccoli during last 5 minutes of cooking. Drain.

Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth, gradually add milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir 1 minute or until thickened.

Add ham, cheeses, basil, garlic powder, and pepper. Cook and stir until cream cheese is melted. Stir in tomato. Add tortellini and broccoli. Stir and heat through.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good. I also usually add a lot more veggies than a recipe calls for. And sometimes change around ingredients if I think the recipe would be better that way. Usually I'm right. Bet you are too.

    ReplyDelete