Friday, January 13, 2012

Friday Food: Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies

My great aunt used to bake cookies for everyone at Christmas time. Somehow when she stopped being able to do it, I started. I'm don't think it was even a conscious effort on my part to replace her contribution. I've always enjoyed baking cookies and this was an easy way to have gifts available for co-workers, family, and anyone who might stop by during the holiday season. The cookies I bake are usually relatively easy to prepare: no rolling out dough, no cookie cutters, no spritzers, no elaborate frosting. I'm glad to roll cookie dough into balls, throw a dollop of frosting on top or between cookies, but all that other stuff seems to have a high frustration potential to me: the cookies would never be as pretty as in the photographs.

Since I don't do all that elaborate Christmassy stuff to my cookies, most of my recipes are appropriate year-round. This recipe is modified slightly from an old Taste of Home magazine and was a favorite of my father-in-laws so I make them for Christmas in memory of him.


Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies

1 cup butter
1 cup chunky peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Filling:
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
3 cups confectioner's sugar
1 tsp vanilla
5 to 6 Tbsp milk

In a mixing bowl, cream the butter, peanut butter, and sugars. Add vanilla. Add eggs and beat well.
Combine flour, baking soda, and salt; add to creamed mixture.
Shape into 1 inch balls and place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten to 3/8 inch thickness with a fork.
Bake at 375 degrees for 7-8 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire racks.
In a mixing bowl, beat filling ingredients until smooth. Spread on half of hte cookies and top each with another cookie.
Yield: About 4 dozen sandwiches, but it depends on how large you make the balls, I usually get about 6 dozen 1-1/2 inch diameter sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment