Monday, February 20, 2012

Inspiration Monday: Snow

We finally had this winter's first snow storm yesterday with 6 inches of heavy wet snow laying on branches and grass, creating a white winter wonderland. My inspiration is usually other artists, but snow makes me appreciate the landscape in a different way, enhancing lines and suppressing shadows. It removes color from the equation, forcing you to view the scene in black and white and shades of grays (or blues when the sun comes out).


Everyday things that you forget to notice on a typical day become more prominent.


Views become more dramatic and the light becomes bright and clear. I tend towards black and white in my linocuts, but I don't always take the time to look at my surroundings with the same critical view. The snow helps you to see the most important details of a scene.


(All images are my own.)

1 comment:

  1. Very Pretty! And you are right about the black and white.
    But even though I'm not a fan of snow (had too many years of having to shovel it and drive in it back in NH) I like to see it against a deep blue sky.

    ReplyDelete