Friday, March 30, 2012

Friday Food: Double Chocolate Chip Mint Cookies

So tell me, did you see the name of these cookies and close your eyes and say "Mmmmm....." like I did? Chocolate and mint is one of my favorite combinations. We have some friends coming over this evening so I thought we should have something sweet for them. I was looking through Better Homes & Gardens and this recipe in a McCormick spice ad jumped out at me. As usual, I didn't follow the recipe exactly so I'll give you my version (with shortcuts), but the original recipe is here.


Double Chocolate Chip Mint Cookies

1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
2 cups flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Melt butter in microwave for 1 minute. Add sugars and mix well.
Add eggs and peppermint extract. Mix well.
Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.
Drop dough by rounded spoonfuls onto greased baking sheets.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until cookies are set. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks and cool completely.
Makes 5 dozen.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmmm! They sound yummmmy! Do you use the regular cocoa powder or the dark chocolate. I find I like the dark chocolate better when I make Walt's favorite PB chip chocolate cookies - and in candy too.

    ReplyDelete