Friday, March 9, 2012

Friday Food: French Chicken/Broccoli Casserole

This is one of my favorites, but I must admit that my husband doesn't particularly like it. I'm not really sure why. I think he might be afraid of the blatant broccoli in it.  I like the cheesiness of it (the sharper the cheddar the better!) - it feels warm and inviting to me. The original recipe came from Taste Of Home, quite a long time ago now, but, as always, I've made a few adjustments. You can replace the white wine with chicken broth if you prefer. Enjoy!


French Chicken/Broccoli Casserole

1-12oz bag frozen broccoli florets
2 lbs cooked chicken, skinned, boned, torn or cut into large pieces

Sauce:
1/3 cup butter
1/4 cup cornstarch, dissolved in 3/4 cup white wine
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cups milk
8 oz grated sharp cheddar cheese

Combine the frozen broccoli and chicken and place in a greased 13" x 9" x 2" baking dish. Set aside.
In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add dissolved cornstarch, seasoning, and milk. Cook until thickened.
Add cheese. Stir until melted.
Pour warm sauce over the chicken and broccoli.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes or until bubbly.
Yield: 6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment