Friday, April 20, 2012

Friday Food: Impossible Cheeseburger Pie

I was reminded of this recipe when my dad's wife served it to us as "something new" last summer. Apparently the recipe, with modifications, was popular with her Weight Watchers group. If you grew up in the 1970s or 80s though, this recipe is probably familiar to you. In fact, my dog-eared copy cut from some long lost magazine, has a 1981 date on it. (And no, I didn't cut it out, I think it came from my mom's recipe file that I inherited after we copied all of her recipes into a single cookbook.)

What follows is the 1981 unmodified recipe from Bisquick. My photo is missing the tomatoes on top because I didn't have any, not because it's not good that way! You can, of course, make the recipe lower fat by using skim milk, one of the skinnier forms of Bisquick available today, and low fat cheese. If ground beef isn't your thing, just substitute some other type of meat or protein and change the name to "Impossible Ham and Cheese Pie" or "Impossible Tofuburger Pie" or whatever works for you!


Impossible Cheeseburger Pie

1 pound ground beef
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup Bisquick baking mix
3 eggs
2 tomatoes, sliced
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 10" x 1.5" pie plate.
Brown beef and onion; drain. Stir in salt and pepper. Spread in pie plate.
Beat milk, Bisquick, and eggs until smooth. Pour into pie plate.
Bake 25 minutes.
Top with tomatoes and sprinkle with cheese.
Bake until knife inserted in center comes out clean, 5 to 8 minutes.
Cool 5 minutes.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.

1 comment:

  1. Forgotten all about that recipe - though I use the cookbook you made for me a lot. It's getting dog-eared too.

    ReplyDelete