Friday, April 27, 2012

Friday Food: Strawberry Pineapple Pie

In typical fashion, I found a recipe I could alter to use up the extra strawberries I bought this week, but then found that I didn't have enough strawberries to fill out a full pie. The original recipe used a variety of berries, but since I didn't have those either a quick search of the pantry found a can of pineapple tidbits that I figured would do the trick. Since I can't try the pie without my husband, I'm assuming it's tasty, but don't know for sure. I suggest a little dollop of whipped cream on top too.


Strawberry Pineapple Pie

Pastry for single-crust pie (9-in.)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
3 cups halved fresh strawberries
1-15 1/4 oz can pineapple tidbits (drained)
1 Tbsp pineapple juice

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Place pastry in 9-in pie plate and flute edges. Line pastry and edges with heavy duty foil. Bake for 8 minutes.
Remove foil. Bake 5-7 minutes longer or until golden brown.
Cool on wire rack.
In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Add berries, pineapple, and juice.
Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until mixture just comes to a boil.
Pour into prepared crust.
Cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment