Friday, May 25, 2012

Friday Food: Hamburger Mac & Cheese

This is my version of Hamburger Helper, without all the nasty chemicals and colorings. I think I probably combined a couple of different recipes to make this. It is tasty and filling. If you don't like hamburger, you can leave it out or substitute another meat or vegetarian protein. I used Ritz crackers for the topping because I usually don't have breadcrumbs on hand. When I made this for the photograph, I didn't have fresh garlic and basil so I substituted the dry version. You'll also notice that instead of macaroni, I used whole wheat penne, just because that's the pasta I happened to have on hand. In my world, cooking is all about following recipes generally, not exactly. If I'm missing an ingredient, I don't let that stop me. I just substitute and come up with something new and tasty!

Hamburger Macaroni & Cheese


1 pound hamburger, cooked
8 oz (2 cups) macaroni, cooked
2 Tbsp butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
2 Tbsp flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp ground mustard
2 1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1/2 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed

Melt butter in saucepan. Saute garlic and basil in the butter.
Remove pan from heat. Blend in flour, salt, pepper, and mustard.
Add milk. Heat, stirring constantly until sauce thickens some and is smooth.
Add cheddar cheese. Heat until melted.
Combine macaroni, hamburger, and sauce in 2 quart casserole.
Top with parmesan cheese and Ritz crackers.
Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there,

    We've recently launched the site RecipesUS.com where users can search through hundreds of thousands of recipes from American food sites and food blogs.

    We noticed that you have a great number of tasty recipes on your blog (url) and we would like to suggest you have a look at our Top Food Blogs section here: http://www.recipesus.com/top-food-blogs

    If you want to add your food blog to the list and have your recipes indexed on RecipesUS.com, all you have to do is follow the instructions here: http://www.recipesus.com/add-your-food-blog

    Our concept is already live in Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Spain, and we deliver thousands of visitors to food blogs daily. Some of the top food blogs receive 20,000+ visitors from us on a weekly basis.

    Hopefully your food blog will be up there in the top!

    Warm regards,
    Senka
    RecipesUS.com, Hittarecept.se, Findeopskrifter.dk, Alleoppskrifter.no, Todareceta.es

    ReplyDelete