Friday, May 18, 2012

Friday Food: Quinoa & Bean Burritos

My husband is afraid of anything that doesn't have meat in it, but I have a vegetarian tendency when I eat by myself. I also like to make food with leftovers so I don't have to think about what I'll have for lunch during the week. These burritos fit the bill. I decided to use quinoa instead of rice to boost their protein and nutrition which seems to work just fine. Increase the heat by using hot salsa or adding jalapenos to the mix.

Quinoa and Bean Burritos

1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
8 - 6" flour tortillas
1 can (15 oz.) black beans
3/4 cup salsa
1/4 cup diced fresh tomatoes
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Heat beans and salsa in a large covered skillet 5 minutes, stirring often. Stir in rice, remove from heat and stir in tomato. Fill tortillas, add tomatoes and cheese and roll.*
Serves 4.

*As you can see in the photo, my burritos are browned. That's because I like my cheese melted, but since I was only making one, I just used the toaster oven to heat it. The regular oven wouldn't have done that. If the filling is hot and you don't want your cheese melted, you don't need to heat them at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment