Friday, June 8, 2012

Friday Food: Chinatown Chicken Simmer

I think this recipe originally came from a Dole pineapple can. I've had it for a long time and it has been well used because I usually have the ingredients on hand. The first few times I made it, the flavor was good, but I had cooked the chicken to death. The trick is to brown the chicken as it says, but it doesn't need to be cooked through when it is browned because it will finish cooking when it simmers. Then it will be tender and juicy. There is a lot of sauce, so I serve it over rice.


Chinatown Chicken Simmer

1 can (20 oz) pineapple
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 pounds chicken breasts
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 large cloves garlic, pressed
1 large onion, sliced
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup lite soy sauce
2 Tbsp honey
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Drain pineapple, reserve juice.
Mix 1/4 cup pineapple juice with cornstarch.
Brown chicken well in oil. Add garlic, onion, and ginger, saute.
Mix remaining juice with remaining ingredients; pour over chicken.
Cover, simmer 30 minutes.
Stir cornstarch mixture into pan juices. Cook until sauce boils.
Add pineapple, heat through.
Serves 4-6.

No comments:

Post a Comment