Friday, July 27, 2012

Friday Food: Crispy Fudge Layer Bars

For a period of time, I went to one of my grandmother's houses after school. She had a chest freezer full of different types of cookies to choose from for a snack. I remember hovering over her freezer trying to decide which flavors to have that afternoon. These Crispy Fudge Layer Bars were one of my favorites. I'd get my plate of cookies and some milk and spend the rest of the afternoon watching Tom & Jerry, Bewitched, and I Dream of Jeannie with my grandmother and great uncle. Great memories!


Crispy Fudge Layer Bars

1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup butter + 2 Tbsp
4 cups miniature marshmallows or 40 regular marshmallows
5 cups crisp rice cereal
1 cup chocolate chips
2/3 cup (1/2 of a 14oz can) sweetened condensed milk

Combine peanut butter, 1/4 cup butter, and marshmallows in a large sauce pan. Cook until melted.
Stir in cereal until coated. Press half of cereal mixture into a butter 12" x 8" x 2" dish.
In microwave, melt 2 Tbsp butter and chocolate on high for 1 min or until melted. Stir and blend in sweetened condensed milk. Spoon over cereal mixture. Top with remaining cereal mixture.
Refrigerate about 1 hour before cutting.
Freezes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment