Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Inspiration Monday: William Hays

Yes, I'm aware I'm posting Inspiration Monday on Tuesday. I could blame it on the terrible storms we had here on Friday night, but we are fortunate to have power and no tree damage unlike some of our neighbors just blocks away. I could blame it on being away this weekend, but I brought my laptop with me and had internet access. So no excuses, other than just being oblivious to Monday's arrival this week. Anyway, on to this week's inspiration!

I found William Hays' multi-colored linocuts on Etsy and they are definitely something to aspire to! The detail and the use of color are amazing, especially when you know the process of creating such prints and getting each successive layer of color registered, or lined up, perfectly.

Paper Shadows, 6-color linocut, by William Hays

Many of his prints have snow in them. Hopefully viewing them on a hot day like today is having a cooling effect on you! I grew up not far from William's home so the subjects are familiar to me and have a nostalgic feeling for me.

Green River Bridge, linocut and watercolor, by William Hays

These linocuts are inspiring both from the technical aspects of creating a multi-colored linoleum block print, but also from the artistic perspectives William takes in creating the scenes he depicts.

Sugaring Season, 6-color embossed linocut, by William Hays
(All images are the works of William Hays. Visit William's Etsy shop to see more of his work or click on the links above. The works featured on Inspiration Monday are those that I enjoy and I have not been compensated in any way to include them on my blog.)

1 comment:

  1. Wow! It's hard to believe they are linocuts with all that detail. What a challenge.
    This losing track of what day of the week it is is for us old folks, not young "whippersnappers" like you!
    We were in Fletcher, across from the Asheville Airport at an old car show and flea market on Friday and didn't get any rain or severe weather. Glad you didn't have any damage.

    ReplyDelete