Friday, August 24, 2012

Friday Food: Tomato Sauce

It's that time of year when many of us have a plethora of fresh tomatoes in the garden, so what better for Friday Food than a recipe for Tomato Sauce? I grow my tomatoes in a planter and didn't get around to fertilizing them this year so I only had a small plethora. I'm sure you can increase this recipe as needed. This recipe is based on Mary Ann Esposito's Ciao Italia Pronto! recipe for Salsa di Pomodoro.

The recipe makes a sweet tomato sauce. You can serve it on whatever type of pasta you like. I happened to choose quinoa because I had some already made and because it adds some protein to an otherwise vegetarian meal. I grated some Parmesan cheese on top - not really necessary, but it's a nice touch. Enjoy the bounties of your garden (or farmers' market)!


Tomato Sauce (Salsa di Pomodoro)

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 small onion, chopped
4 large tomatoes
1/3 cup red wine
salt to taste
coarse black pepper to taste
1 bunch fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
1 Tbsp sugar

Heat olive oil in a 3 quart pot (or larger if you increase the recipe). Stir in garlic and onion and cook over medium heat until they begin to soften. Do not let brown.
Lower heat and stir in remaining ingredients.
Bring sauce to a boil, then lower heat to simmer. Cover pot and cook 20 minutes.
Serve over quinoa, pasta, or freeze for later!

4 comments:

  1. I have a handful of romas from my wee pretend patch of garden that I'm going to use for this tonight! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had 7 romas that all ripened at once that I used for the sauce so they'll work just fine! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't grow my own, but I'm willing to go out and buy some pomodoro to try this recipe.  

    ReplyDelete
  4. The original recipe actually called for canned tomatoes, but I prefer fresh, especially this time of year when it's tomato season here!

    ReplyDelete