Monday, August 27, 2012

Inspiration Monday: Frank Lloyd Wright

My inspiration today is not all of Frank Lloyd Wright's architecture and design work, but his art glass window patterns in particular. I have always loved geometric patterns and enjoyed his window patterns, but hadn't really looked that closely at them until the other day. I decide to try to sketch one to give me some additional ideas for my own work beyond basic simple geometry. Since I wasn't real successful at finding the kind of photos of his work I was looking for on the Internet, my sketch will have to suffice today.


This is a window from the May House in Grand Rapids, Michigan that I found in an old Frank Lloyd Wright calendar we had kept for the wonderful photographs. This is a simpler window than many that he created, but it's still not as straightforward as it might seem. It took me several tries before I got the gist of his geometry, thought the proportions are still not quite right (the window is taller and skinnier).

What's interesting and inspirational are the different divisions of the window's rectangle at work here. If you look above the bottom row of alternating squares, the window seems to be divided into fourths with the right and left panels divided again in half. Simple enough. The quarters are divided into fifths in the center and thirds farther up on the right and left. Then 2/3rds is split into thirds and there's 1/3rd + 1/5th and 3/5ths and then there's the squares at the top and bottom of the window....And wow!

So what's the inspiration here? Don't limit yourself! If you've got a rectangle, maybe just a piece of paper or a canvas, and you decide to limit yourself to straight lines, you still have all sorts of beautiful options. If you divide the rectangle into quarters, don't stop there! Don't make those divisions hard and fast. Think of them as guidelines for part of your canvas and let your imagination run wild. Divide and conquer. And make beauty!

1 comment:

  1. I saw a Frank Lloyd Wright home in Grand Rapids - don't remember the name of it and we didn't go in just went by it on a bus tour. Also saw a bunch of beautiful old homes of varying styles. They were supposed to be torn down for room to add a hospital annex but people got together and saved them - thank heavens! They were much to nice to destroy them.

    ReplyDelete