Monday, August 6, 2012

Inspiration Monday: Michael Sweere

I tend to keep bits and pieces of everything: paper, yarn, tile, glass, metal...I figure I can use it sometime, somewhere. The previous owner of our house was a stained glass artist and I am constantly finding colored pieces of glass in the yard. I keep those too.

I think my affinity for little pieces of things has made me appreciate mosaics all the more. I have yet to figure out how to use all the little pieces I have to create something beautiful, but mosaic artists have. Michael Sweere has done a wonderful job of using found, recycled objects to create wonderful, colorful mosaic scenes.

"Above Lutsen," salvaged tin and nail collage on plywood
by Michael Sweere
There are traditional scenes as well as those that are a little less conventional made with a sense of humor and levity.

"Raincoat," recycled paper packaging mosaic by Michael Sweere
I like the simplicity of mosaics and that small, often similarly shaped pieces can create such complex designs. Definitely inspiration for collaging and using up all those little pieces I have around!

"Birches and Lupines," glass stone and ceramic
tile mosaic by Michael Sweere
(All images are the works of Michael Sweere. Visit Michael's website to see more of  his work or click on the links above. The works featured on Inspiration Monday are those that I enjoy and I have not been compensated in any way to include them on my blog.)

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. I like the last one the best - the subject and colors. The middle one looks like it's raining UPC labels rather than cats and dogs.

    ReplyDelete