Friday, September 21, 2012

Friday Food: Choco-Nut Chews

I think I've mentioned before the many sweet delights that one of my grandmothers had in her freezer that she'd offer me when I visited after school. Choco-Nut Chews was one of those. This recipe is labeled "Terri's special" so apparently I was quite enamored of them at one time. They ARE good, but unfortunately, I just don't remember them! My grandmother was on a bake-it-in-the-microwave craze at that time and this is a microwave recipe that I've adapted to my world where I absolutely refuse to bake in the microwave (it just seems weird), so maybe they taste different if they're microwaved instead of baked?


Choco-Nut Chews

1 1/2 cups quick oatmeal
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chunky style peanut butter

Topping:
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 1/2 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup chopped salted peanuts

Combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl and spread evenly into a greased 8" x 8" x 2" baking pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Let cool.
Combine chocolate chips, milk, and vanilla in a small bowl. Microwave on high for 45 seconds. Stir until melted. Spread on bars and sprinkle with peanuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment