Monday, September 17, 2012

Inspiration Monday: Laurie Pollpeter Eskenazi

I enjoy pottery and have wanted to try a wheel ever since I first played with clay in elementary school. I haven't done that yet, but will one day. It seems like craft shows have their share of blue, green, and brown mugs and plates. Those are fine, but I've seen so many of those pieces now that I'm far more attracted to bright colors and less traditional shapes. What attracted me most to Laurie Pollpeter Eskenazi's work was one of her "Vases with Attitude" that I first saw on the Arts Business Institute blog.

A Vase with Attitude
by Laurie Pollpeter Eskenazi

I love the posture of this vase and that Laurie was imagining a utilitarian vessel as a being with style and attitude. The vase seems to be saying, "Hey! You! Put some flowers in me already, will ya?" The application of color on the vase would be beautiful as a flat painting, as would the colors and motifs of her bowls and dishes.

Flowers Bowl by Laurie Pollpeter Eskenazi

I am inspired by Laurie's work to remember that anything, no matter how utilitarian, is an opportunity for creating beauty and art that can be used every day. Or maybe, I should think of it this way, just as I wouldn't wear sweats to go out in public, the every-day, utilitarian items in my life should look their best too!

Vase by
Laurie Pollpeter Eskenazi

(All images are the works of Laurie Pollpeter Eskenazi. Click on the images above or visit Laurie Pollpeter Eskenazi's website or her Artful Home shop to see more of her work.. The works featured on Inspiration Monday are those that I enjoy and I have not been compensated in any way to include them on my blog.)

No comments:

Post a Comment