Friday, October 26, 2012

Friday Food: Ginger Cream Cake

I love spicy ginger and molasses cookies and gingerbread, but I really only have a taste for these flavors during the cooler months, maybe because I associate the flavors with the holidays. It's gotten cooler out now, so it's time to bring out the spices! This Ginger Cream Cake has a nice zippy flavor with a smooth creamy frosting. I've had this recipe for quite a while - it's been a long time since I glued recipes to index cards - so I don't know what magazine it came from now. My guess is that it's an early 1990s Good Housekeeping recipe. Don't worry about the coffee - it adds body to the cake, but there's enough spice going on that it doesn't have a coffee flavor. It's yummy!


Ginger Cream Cake

1 cup sugar
1 cup butter
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp ground cloves
1 Tbsp ground ginger
2 eggs
1/2 cup molasses
1 cup boiling coffee

Frosting:
1/2 cup butter
3 oz reduced fat cream cheese
2 cups confectioner's sugar
2 tsp vanilla

Cream together sugar and butter in a large bowl. Add flour, salt, baking soda, and spices and blend. Add eggs and molasses, mix. Blend in coffee.
Pour into a 13"x9"x2" baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Cool.
For frosting, cream butter and cream cheese together; add sugar and vanilla. Spread over bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment