Friday, November 30, 2012

Friday Food: Pumpkin Cornbread

It's after Thanksgiving, so it's time for all of the holiday festivals, celebrations, open houses, markets, parties, and other hoopla to begin. One of those celebrations is the Holidays at Historic Smithfield Plantation in Blacksburg, VA. My husband was once their Administrative Director and I still volunteer here and there. Since I love to bake, I often help with the sweets for Susanna's Tea Room at the Holidays event. Smithfield provides the recipes and the volunteers bake.

I chose the Pumpkin Cornbread and made two yummy smelling pans of it this morning. I adjusted the recipe below because, for my taste, I'd add more spices. I think it should be served with softened butter too. Or maybe cinnamon butter. Mmm...Try it yourself for a taste of history!


Pumpkin Cornbread

1 1/3 cups cornmeal
2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
5 eggs
1 8oz container sour cream
1 can (15oz) 100% pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
1/2 cup butter, melted + 2 Tbsp

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease 9" x 9" pan.
Sift all dry ingredients together into a large bowl.
In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs until the yolks and whites are well mixed. Stir in the sour cream, then the pumpkin. Stir in the 1/2 cup melted butter.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the liquid all at once. Stir only until the dry ingredients are moistened.
Pour into prepared pan. Bake until lightly browned on top and a toothpick inserted in the center can be withdrawn clean. (Approximately 35 minutes for light colored or glass pans, 30 min for dark pans.)
Remove from oven, brush top with the remaining 2 Tbsp melted butter and allow to cool for 15 minutes before cutting into 36 squares.
Freezes well.

(Note that I doubled the recipe and baked it in a 10" x 15" pan which seemed to work fine, but it also seemed to bake faster than I expected. So you may want to bake for a shorter amount of time and check it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment