Friday, December 14, 2012

Friday Food: Orange Drop Cookies

It's Christmas Cookie season so I'm afraid I'll have to bore you with cookie recipes for the next month or so. I have a confession to make about Christmas cookies though: I am not a roller, cutter, or fancy froster. I enjoy making a lot of cookies at Christmas time, but I generally make drop cookies, bars, or the type you roll into balls. A dab of frosting is fine, but no fancy flourishes for me. Those cookies might be prettier, but they don't taste enough better to me to merit the extra work. Besides, I always feel guilty biting the head off of a gingerbread man. Who needs that stress during the holidays?

This recipe came from a Quick Cooking magazine and is one I hadn't tried before. Just the cookie didn't taste festive enough for me, so I added the frosting by adjusting another cookie's frosting to have orange extract instead of peppermint. I think the frosting brings them to that festive holiday level. Enjoy!


Orange Drop Cookies

Cookies:
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1/3 cup orange juice
1 Tbsp grated orange peel
4 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda

Frosting:
2 Tbsp butter
4 oz white chocolate
4 Tbsp milk
2 cups confectioner's sugar
1 tsp orange extract

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, orange juice, and orange peel. Add flour, baking powder, and baking soda and mix well.
Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto greased baking sheets.
Bake at 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.

In a non-metal mixing bowl, melt butter and white chocolate in microwave. Add milk, confectioner's sugar, and orange extract. Mix until smooth.
Drizzle frosting onto cooled cookies.

Yield: About 8 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment