Monday, January 21, 2013

Friday Food: Ginger Cookies

I'm a little late with Friday Food due to a cable/internet outage that came with the Virginia mountain snowstorm we had last week. Fortunately, we didn't lose power and I had my smart phone, but I still felt rather cut off from the world without full internet service!

This is the last of the Christmas cookie recipes and one of my favorites. This is one of my mom's recipes and I can remember rolling the dough balls in sugar to help her make them when I was a kid. I like my cookies spicier, so I use the spice measurements as a guide and heap the spoons. I also like my cookies softer so I bake them a bit less than the 10 minutes. Often when I make these, I'll make the batter one evening and the cookies the next since the batter needs to chill (and usually I do too if I've been making lots of cookies that day!) Enjoy!


Ginger Cookies

3/4 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
4 Tbsp molasses
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cloves
2 1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda

Melt butter in microwave safe mixing bowl. Cream sugar and butter. Add egg and molasses and beat well. Add all dry ingredients and mix well.
Chill for at least an hour.
Roll balls the size of walnuts. Roll in sugar and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes (more for crunchier, less for softer cookies).

No comments:

Post a Comment