Friday, March 8, 2013

Friday Food: Broccoli Cheddar Soup

What's better than warm, cheesy soup on a cold day? I'm not a huge soup fan, but broccoli cheese soup is one of my favorites. This recipe is my own mishmash of several different recipes to create something that suited my taste. It's smooth and cheesy and the broccoli helps convince me it's healthy despite all the cheese. The recipe makes enough for 6 small cups or 3 bowls. I'll be having some for lunch today!


Broccoli Cheddar Soup

2 cups broth (or 2 cups water + 2 tsp chicken or vegetable bouillon)
2 cups fresh broccoli florets
2 Tbsp butter
1 cup onion, minced
2 Tbsp flour
2 cups warm milk
dash ground black pepper
1 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese

In a sauce pan, bring broth to a boil. Add broccoli. Simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off heat.
In a large sauce pan, melt butter. Add onion and cook until softened. Add flour and mix to a paste. Add milk and heat until mixture thickens slightly, stirring constantly.
Add broccoli and broth, continuing to stir until combined.
Add black pepper and cheddar cheese. Cook and stir until cheddar cheese is melted. Simmer for 5 more minutes, then serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment