Friday, April 26, 2013

Friday Food: Lemon Ricotta Muffins

I had leftover ricotta cheese from making Four Cheese Baked Rigatoni and since I don't like to let food go to waste, I went in search of a recipe. I didn't want to make manicotti and my cookbooks don't index on ricotta cheese, so despite the zillions of recipes I have, I ended up on the internet. I found this at FoodNetwork.com by Giada De Laurentis as Nonna's Lemon Ricotta Biscuits and modified it slightly to use up all of my ricotta. They're a tasty combination of lemon and almond and because of the ricotta cheese, they even have some protein to them! That makes them health food, right?


Lemon Ricotta Muffins

1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp grated lemon peel
2 cups ricotta cheese
1 egg
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
sugar
thinly sliced almonds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 12 muffin cups.
Mix sugar, butter, and lemon peel until light and fluffy. Beat in ricotta. Beat in egg, lemon juice, and almond extract. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and stir until just blended (batter will be thick and fluffy).
Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle sliced almonds and sugar over the muffins.
Bake until muffins are pale golden on top, about 20 minutes.
Cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment