Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Daring Adventures in Paint: Beach Edition

One of the weeks of the Daring Adventures in Paint class, I was at the beach. Last year, when I took the Get Your Paint On class, I was also at the beach. Same condo. Same view.


So I decided to use the same view as a background for one of the collages. I'm a bit more adventurous with the paint now and have a few more techniques up my sleeve. I like this year's sky and water better than last.


Since this class was a Daring Adventure, I couldn't very well leave it as just sky and water. I had ideas about adding an airplane towing an advertising banner as they do at the beach here. My first attempt looked more like a jet liner, so I had to move the wings forward. I added some collage elements and letterpress ships on the horizon.


I haven't decided if the painting is done or not. I didn't want to lose all of the background, but am still not entirely pleased with the foreground elements. I think it may be the airplane that is bothering me most - it still looks a bit like a jetliner and is grabbing too much attention. I also think the horizon should have been a bit lower (and straighter, but I have a hard time painting straight lines!) It almost, but not quite cuts the canvas in half on the left, which is a bit disturbing. You may see this again with adjustments or I may just wait and try again on my next beach trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment